Ideators attended 24th Annual My City, My Place Brighter Futures Awards
The Philadelphia Intellectual disAbility Services Public Awareness Committee will host the 24th Annual My City, My Place Brighter Future Awards on Friday, March 18, 2016 at the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, 210 North 17th Street.
Intellectual disAbility Services and the Public Awareness Committee create, promote and enhance the supports and services available to individuals with intellectual disabilities. So we joined them and did our part.
And there were our Ideators, in the middle of it all flexing their self-advocacy . muscles and vending. We met everyone, ate everything and left feeling a little more self-determined. IT’S ALL ABOUT COMMUNITY!
The Brighter Futures Awards are for individuals from all walks of life: neighbors, people with disAbilities, teachers, friends, family, employers, co-workers, spiritual leaders, civic groups/organizations, self- advocates, medical professionals, political leaders, business men and women who are not employed by provider agencies.
Every year, they are looking for people who:
• Assist people with intellectual disAbilities to have control over their own lives by making real choices: working, playing, worshiping, enjoying friends, loving relationships and participating in the community.
• Support others to be self- determined, realizing their goals and dreams.
• Are self-advocates and are examples of self-determination and who live everyday lives.
• Neighbors, businesses or organizations that welcome and include all people.
• Individuals who support overall health and wellness and are not employed by provider agencies.
• Individuals or organizations who have developed an innovative program that promotes inclusion, community participation and provides natural supports
We encourage you to consider individuals or organizations who provide and promote vital programs that engage the community in recreation, health & wellness, employment, socialization, politics, art, music, education and volunteerism.